Kurt Dixon is a licensed clinical psychologist from South Africa who is experienced in working with adults and adolescents. Kurt works psycho-dynamically which is a form of insight orientated therapy to assist clients with symptom reduction, develop self-awareness and more resilient ways of functioning. He also has extensive experience in skills based interventions such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), group therapy and alternative methods such as Mindfulness Stress Reduction. Kurt conducts psycho-educational and psychometric assessments for children and adults with learning disabilities and ADHD.
Prior to joining FSHN, he spent four years at Stikland Psychiatric Hospital in South Africa, working in both the inpatient Adult Therapeutic Ward, the Outpatients Department and in community clinics. Kurt has also completed Intermediary Training in Group Analytic Psychotherapy, and a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction program (MBSR) in Cape Town. He has recently been trained in a new and exciting form of therapy called Brain Working Recursive Therapy (BWRT) which is very effective for a range of disorders such as anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, self-esteem issues, exam stress, personality disorders, trauma, and substance abuse.
Kurt received a B.A. and a Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and a Master’s degree in Research Psychology from the University of The Western Cape in South Africa, and is registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA).
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Masters in Clinical Psychology, University of Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
- Masters in Research Psychology, University of Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
- Individual therapy, couples therapy, and play therapy for children.
- Using Brain Working Recursive Therapy (BWRT) for a range of issues: depression, anxiety, panic attacks, relationship concerns, trauma, phobias, poor self-worth, insomnia, substance abuse and personality disorders
- Mindfulness and Dialectical Behavior Therapy – individual and groups.
- Psycho-educational assessments for learning disabilities and ADHD.
- Level 1 and Level 2 Certification as a Brain Working Recursive Therapy (BWRT) Professional
- Intermediate Certificate in Group Analytic Psychotherapy
- Certificate of Attendance for Fundamental Training Program in Eye Movement Integration Therapy
- Certificate of Attendance in Djembe Drum Facilitation course, intermediate level
- Health Professions Council of South Africa
- Board of Health Care Funders, South Africa
- Institute of BrainWorking Recursive Therapy (in process)